Monday, January 15, 2007

Am I A Gardener???


Am I A Gardener???
These are questions brought up on the May Garden blog. I garden, therefore I am...


So, what makes a gardener? I think that a gardener someone who likes to grow something (anything) in the dirt.


Do you consider yourself a gardener? Yup!


How did you decide you were a gardener? Whenever I get near a garden center (or plants at the grocery store, for that matter!), my heart beats a little faster and I start imagining where "that plant" could find a new home in my landscape!


When is the first time you referred to yourself as a gardener? I can't remember...I've always thought of myself that way.


Where and how did you learn to be a gardener? Two people were instrumental in my garden rearing. As a very young girl, my grandpa used to let me help him in his vegetable garden. It was a honor and something he took very seriously. Aunt Doris was a huge encouragement in my young adult years. What a gracious lady!


Has anyone ever introduced you to someone else as a gardener? Always! My friend, Lynn, says, "This is my friend, the one who gardens"! :)


When someone tells you they are a gardener, what image of them does it bring to mind? Somebody like me!


What do you expect of them? I expect to hear about their newest acquisition or the latest hunt they're on...or maybe their last gardening trial.


Can a gardener live where there is no place to plant anything, and still remain a gardener? Absolutely! Gardening is a frame of mind! Is there room for a clay pot and some dirt???



What about horticulturalists? Are they a subset of “gardeners” or a whole different group? I think that the gardener is a subset to the horticulturalist. They're the "Big Kahuna"!!

2 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Thanks for answering the questions. You are definitely a gardener, and I'm visiting your blog for the first time. I will be back!

gardenmomma (Chris) said...

How kind of you to say. Though I've dabbled at it for many years, I've only taken it seriously for a couple. I am a novice, but i am learning so much from blogs such as yours!