Monday, January 22, 2007

Hollyhocks



What a beautiful day it is today! The sun is shining and a lot of things that were impacted in Great Ice Storm of 2007 are on the rebound. Yep, the ice did come, but it really wasn't a storm. We've had lots of rain this month...over 5 1/2 inches in just over 2 weeks. Last year at this time we just has a trace. Since we're still in a drought, this is a good thing and I'll refrain from griping about all the mud and dirty floors. :) I brought several of these hollyhocks over from the other house. This thing is huge!!! At the other house, it died down to the ground in the winter. Tells you a lot about microclimates, huh? That's a big wagon wheel behind it. The hollyhock was all droopy and looked like it was a goner 3 days ago. When it perked back up, it made my heart sing...Spring is Coming!!!

2 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

Hi Chris,

Do you think your Hollyhocks are Malva sylvestris 'Zebrina' like these French Hollyhocks?

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51464/index.html

That's the kind that reseeds in my garden - from seeds planted many generations ago.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

gardenmomma (Chris) said...

Hi Annie,
YES!!! That is exactly what they are! I bought them in a little nursery in Lindale, TX several years ago. I have given voluteer plants to everyone I know. Thankyou for identifying them for me.