Saturday, April 28, 2007

GTS - April 29, 2007

I think I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but it's another beautiful weekend. Everything is wonderful and lush (especially the weeds!) after getting almost 4 inches of of rain this week!
We spent the day in the backyard and my birthday present arrived - two very strong, young men!!! I've gotten some funny looks when I tell people what my husband got me for my BD. Now why on earth would I need two young men except to dig some beds for me, I ask??? They finished all the border beds and planted two Wax Myrtle trees. I've been moving plants around all afternoon. I come in to download the pics only to find I didn't have a card in my camera. What is UP with that??? I will take some more tomorrow.

This beautiful miniature rose erupted in bloom all in one day last week.

A shot from one of the many garden centers I stopped in the last week.




I think this is my Mexican Bush Sage, does anyone know if I am correct?
See all that Spearmint in the picture? It is NO MORE. I dug to China to get it out.
It better be no more, I hope it is no more...




11 comments:

Kylee Baumle said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

And spearmint...I love it, but I've got to tear some out and contain what I want to keep. I made the mistake of not doing that in the first place.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

What a wonderful present you received!

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday! It's my first visit to your blog! I'm in Dallas, too! Happy Gardening!! :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely roses! And happy birthday -- I hope you have a wonderful day. Congrats on another gorgeous weekend!

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is indeed a Mexican bush sage (Salvia leucantha), a wonderful plant.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday.
You've given me an idea of what to ask for for my next Birthday.

Anonymous said...

Hau'oli la hanau!

Groan! I keep killing my spearmint and I really want it to grow! Still, I do understand, as my mother always had a problem with it over running her gardens.

I was late, but my GTS is up now, too!

A wildlife gardener said...

Happy birthday! Great photos. I think it is the Mexican bush sage too. I dug out all that particular invasive mint and put a cutting in a large pot with the base cut out. Then I sunk it into the herb bed. So now I still have that mint but the pot contains it and stops it spreading. Other mints are not so invasive. Have you tried, eau de cologne mint, pineapple mint, and apple mint?

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

But that's why those young men were put on earth, aren't they? To do a lot of digging in the garden.
BTW Were they decorative too? ;-)

Hope you had a wonderful birthday! Your garden is looking very lovely. I like the mini rose especially.

gardenmomma (Chris) said...

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! It was a good one. I found more spearmint today. You are so right, Kylee, a container is the only way to go with spearmint. Skeet, I wish I could airmail you a big ole bunch of it! WG, I would like to try some of the kind you mentioned, and yes, I will sink a pot into the ground. Thanks for the complement, Yolanda Elizabet, but I have a long way to go. I am now off to a good start! Have a great week.

Terra said...

Oh,yes, that is Mexican bush sage. I love the velvety flowers, and they are very hardy plants in my California garden.
Soft purple is my favorite, although the white, and the purple/white are handsome too.